In HeartBeat, young people will learn to make peace through rhythm. While being introduced to new instruments and learning to play different poly-rhythms, participants develop their skills as focused listeners and confident performers. Participants in the program will become excited, encouraged and connected through powerful chants and inspiring affirmations. Engaging both sides of the brain, groups will come together to create harmony.
- To nurture musicians and provide creative recognition.
- To build self esteem, empowering individuals and communities to find their voices.
- To transform negative energy into a positive, powerful and productive vigor.
- To improve young people’s self efficacy and create a tangible and bright vision for the future.
- To foster connections to community and respect for the earth.
Young people will develop skills and receive the tools and support to make music collaboratively. Participants will become comfortable with their bodies and familiarized with the instruments, while having fun. They will become better listeners and communicators through learning to sing and play a range or contemporary, traditional, and improvised songs from cultures across the United States, Africa and the Caribbean.
This workshop series connects young people to themselves and the earth, through instrument- making and music-playing. Participants will look at where instruments come from, how they are made, and their own relationships with their surroundings.
Music and Movement
Young people will learn to express themselves through movement and music, explore the relationship between dance and sound, and experiment with using sound and movement to express emotions, through collaboration and improvisation.